Added nutritional benefits to delicious vegan perogies, this recipe is from the Fraiche Food Full Hearts Cookbook with a RYP twist.
Serving for up to 4 depending on how hungry you are :)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1.5 pounds red potatoes peeled and cubed
- Pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tbsp RYP Don't Stop Beleafing Organic Spinach Powder
- 1 tbsp #SquashGoals Organic Pumpkin Powder
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Chopped Green Onion
- Make the dough - combine water and oil and whisk together, add flour and salt to taste and mix together. Place dough on well floured work surface and knead, gradually adding more flour, oil or water to make dough firm not sticky
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl (either olive oil or vegan butter) and cover with a damp kitchen bowl and let rest for 30 minutes
- Make the filling - heat a frying pan with 1/2 tbsp of vegan butter and cook the onions, remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the peeled and cubed potatoes to the pot and cook for about 10 minutes, drain and return to pot. Stir in the onions, nutritional yeast, 1/2 tbsp of vegan butter, salt and pepper.
- Separate half the potatoes into a separate bowl add a RYP Powder of choice to each. With two different powders you can add RYP Pumpkin Powder to one bowl and RYP Spinach Powder to the other. You can skip this step and just add one powder to the potato mixture.
- Once the dough has rested, divide in half. On a lightly floured surface using a lightly floured rolling pin roll out a piece of dough until it is about 3 mm thick. Cut out circles using a cookie cutter or a sharp edged glass or knife.
- Add 1 tsp of the filling to the centre of a cutout dough, fold the dough over and seal together with your fingers, add a bit of water to secure the seal. Repeat with the remaining dough, set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and drop the perogies in being careful not to overcrowd, boil for 5-7 minutes. With boiled perogies start frying them up over medium high heat until golden brown.
- Top with vegan sour cream and green onions to taste, enjoy!